** Please read to the bottom of this post for answers to common questions. Or visit THIS PAGE. **
Gina's Designs Laser Cuts has a brand new name: Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts and I have a brand new tutorial for you!
I was sort of hesitiant about using this as a design team project because it's so easy and requires just a few simple supplies... but it's soooo stinkin' cute!
Fairy lanterns! Now, anyone who has experience with real fairies knows that it is not a good idea to stuff them into jars. They will pinch and nip and basically make your life unpleasant if you treat them rudely. These jars are a fairy friendly alternative. Perfectly dreamy as a little nightlight, or magical accent.
Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts carries the Garden Fairy cutouts in three different sizes so you can create a variety of lanterns in an assortment of jars. And if fairies aren't your thing... well, there's always baby dragons from the Dragons Shape Set, floral elements, or whatever suits your fancy!
The tutorial can be found HERE on my YouTube channel (and below), but here are a few tips:
• Sticking the figures directly on the glass (generally) yields better, more detailed results
• Use two or three battery powered tea lights. More light = stronger silhouette effect.
• Take care how many layers of paper you use, how much overlap there is. (A little is ok.)
• Use thinner school glue for the paper and thicker tacky glue for the glitter
• DO NOT use real candles inside
Finally, the supply list:
• Gypsy Soul Garden Fairy cutouts
• Glass jam jars with lids
• Thin tissue paper
• White school glue
• Quality white glue
• Clear glitter
• Floral embellishments (THESE sugared blooms from Petaloo are gorgeous)
• Battery powered tealights or led string lights
NOTE: Please DO make for friends, as gifts, as a group project but remember that making them commercially (including teaching as a paid class) is not permitted.
EDIT: to answer a few questions
1. The cutouts are available here: Gypsy Soul Garden Fairy cutouts
YES she does ship internationally. International customers might want to try placing an order via Alpha Stamps HERE. I also have a few listed in my etsy shop HERE.
3. The size you buy would depend on the size of the jar you are using. If using a pint sized canning jar small or medium is probably a safe bet.
4. "Can I use/do/change x,y,z ?" Give it a try! Experimenting is part of the fun of making.
5. DO NOT use real candles. Safety first!
6. NO, selling replicas of this project is NOT permitted. Seriously, just be inspired, add your own style and vision, and create your own version of a fairy lantern. If you are selling handmade you should be selling YOUR ideas and style, not mine. Think of it this way, you wouldn't copy a book word for word... don't carbon copy this project. For fun? Make as many as you like. For profit? Make your own version.
Note: I am not the owner of Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts or Alpha Stamps. They send me products, I use them in my work, that is all. If you have a question about ordering products, please direct them to the company you are ordering from.